Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Health Screenings

My medical insurance requires its members to have an annual screening for your cholesterol, glucose, and blood pressure, among other things. If not, your rates would go up $4.25. So I had mine done a couple of weeks ago and, as I mentioned in another post, the results were not great.

I found out yesterday that I have type 2 Diabetes. Hearing this was a bit of a blow to me. But it makes sense. I mean, at a very young age, I began having reflux issues, and was later diagnosed with GERD. Shortly after getting married, I had a mirage of problems. I was experiencing weight gain, acne, amenorrhea, among other things. After several tests, I was diagnosed with PCOS. This is all related and due to metabolic issues.

I have been upset, and sad, and ashamed...all at myself. This is a serious wake up call, and I can't ignore this anymore. I know that if I can control my sugar, and level out my hormones, I can work on other things and get better. So next Tuesday, I get to visit the dietitian. I believe I have been doing better the last few weeks in regards to making good food choices. However, now I'm even more restricted as I can't have anything white at all (breads, rice, flour, etc). But I have to do this. I need to do this. I know it isn't going to go away quickly, and I now I have a whole team of drs. But I know I can do it. One day at a time.

0 Interesting Remarks: