Monday, March 16, 2009

Taking a Deep Breath

Taking a deep breath is not something that I can easily do. I've had a terrible cough for almost 2 months. It's been a dry cough so I continue to take my asthma medication. Last week I started wheezing so I saw my doctor who put me on some stronger meds to reduce the inflammation in my lungs. Saturday afternoon, it started again. By Sunday morning I couldn't hold a conversation without coughing. Early this morning was the worst. My chest was really tight and the cough was worse. I thought I could swing by the dr's office, get some new meds, and be on my way. Well no. I couldn't breathe. They gave me 2 breathing treatments when I passed out. I started to throw up, and had an asthma attack. They told me they called Adam but couldn't get through. I called him 3 more times and just go a message to "try your call again later". I was really upset, which added my breathing problems. Whenever I need to get ahold of him urgently, something is wrong with the phone. I finally called my friend Heather who showed up just before the paremedics did. They sent me over to the ER and put me on oxygen. Everything happened so fast and I was in such a daze. Nurses, techs, attaching tubes and wires, taking my stats and ekg. I had a chest xray done which came back normal. My chest ct scan was also good. The dr said my lungs are inflammed bc of a pulminary obstruction. So they gave me some new meds and sent me home with a shot of morphine. The dr said I need to rest and avoid getting upset, any crying, or laughing because it constricts my air passages. Hopefully the steroid will ease the swelling in my lungs and ease my breathing because I really don't want to go back to the ER.

1 Interesting Remarks:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you have friends to help look out for you! Hope the new meds help!