Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Stranded, Naked, and Needing Some Air

My flight to Memphis departed the gate at NYC's LaGuardia Airport at 4:05pm. We taxied for what felt like a long time. The pilot said we were number 16 to depart. Yay. We finally reach the runway and we sit there some more. Finally, the engines rev up and we start to go, only to stop abruptly, causing everyone to lunge forward in their seats. We then exit the runway and sit. Finally, we make it back to the line where we're number 8 to take off. We then go and, once again, stop abruptly. By now I have a headache. Sit some more, and the pilot comes on to say we're returning to the gate. So we arrive back at the gate an hour after leaving and the plane is turned off. After another 30 minutes (at this point I'm 99.99999% sure I'd miss the connecting flight) we were informed that there was a problem with the computer system which handles the fuel and these were the options: 1. Wait for them to finish the work and fly to Memphis. Since I'd miss the last flight to Chattanooga, they would put me at a hotel til the morning. 2. Stay in NYC another night and fly out the next day. 3. Take another flight home tonight. So I chose door number 3! They booked me on a flight from NYC to Atlanta, and then to Chattanooga. Great! I get to the gate and the flight is cancelled. Wow. They book me on another flight and I made it on just as they were closing the door. Yes! I arrive to Atlanta to find my connecting flight to Chattanooga has been cancelled til tomorrow. Great! I then decide to take the shuttle bus home instead, only to realize I have NO CLUE where my luggage is. I explained my story to baggage claim and, after she made about 15 calls, she informed me that the very first original flight out of NYC was scrapped all together and all baggage was removed from the plane. So....no one knows where my luggage with all my medication/toiletries/clothes/coat/phone charger is at. No one. She says she's certain my luggage won't arrive to Memphis or Chattanooga. So I filled out the paperwork and ran to catch the shuttle bus which I barely missed. . So here I am. On the shuttle. Blogging on my phone. Crying. Wondering if door number 3 was a wise decision.

3 Interesting Remarks:

Melissa said...

I am so sorry! I hope everything has worked out by now.

Angeline said...

I'm really sorry to hear that.... but I've learned something new today... I never knew one could blog through phones...

Ashlee said...

yuck! THat is too bad. I hope they find everything. GOod luck!