Monday, August 17, 2009

The Sound of Music

We stood for the rest hymn yesterday during sacrament, and when the organ began Maddy said, "Mommy this your song in the car!" How emotional I became that, not only did she recognize the hymn (Hymn #27 Praise to The Man), but she sang too and knew the entire chorus! I couldn't complete the song without crying.

I have a very strong testimony of music and how it can influence a person's life. I'd say the music aided in my conversion to the church. Each song is a prayer, a story, a testimony. I cannot say which is my favorite, as there are so many. From hyms of praise, to hymns of church history and patriotic hymns as well.

I have many albums of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on my iPhone playlist. I play them all the time; on our way to school, church, store. It brings such a calm feeling into our hearts. Most recently I have been playing the album, "Praise to the Man: Songs Honoring the Prophet Joseph Smith". The music, the arrangement, and singing by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is amazing. I encourage you to listen to the album. It will give you goose bumps.

Another album that I have frequented is "Consider the Lilies". The songs on this album are beautiful. You can hear the words of the Savior. I have a hard time finding a favorite in this album, as they are all filled with hope and love.

The past weeks have been marked with a lot of trials and sadness (hence, the neglect of my blogs). It's been a time where I have questioned everthing from my faith, to my relationship with others, even my own personal worth. It has been during this time that I have listened and meditated with this music, and it's been very inspiring and uplifting. This music has made me realize that nothing is impossible if you have faith and put your trust in Him. I've done a complete cleansing of my playlist, erasing any song that brings on sadness or negative feelings, and added music that will inspire and uplift.

You can watch the Mormon Tabernacle choir perform "Consider the Lilies" HERE

"He clothes the lilies of the field,
He feeds the lambs in His fold,
And He will heal those who trust Him,
And make their hearts as gold."

1 Interesting Remarks:

kristi lee said...

I hear ya about music...powerful stuff!

Love the hair!