Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Go To Sleep, Baby

I will be the first to admit that I love my sleep. I've always had this "rule" that the children belong in their room, in their bed. But I haven't been good about putting them to bed. Mainly Maddy. She needs one of us to lay down with her until she falls asleep. This has been ok with us, but I don't want to do this til she's 16. I keep saying I'll get her to fall asleep alone in her bed for months. Something always comes up. I break my elbows, get sick, etc. Well I decided today would be the day she would fall asleep in her own bed. We read books, brushed teeth, and I tucked her in. She patted her pillow and said, "Come on, Mom." I kissed her head and said she's a big girl and has to sleep on her own in her big girl bed. She happily said OK and layed down. Confused, I walked out of the room. 15 minutes later she calls me and tells me I have to lay down. I repeated to her and said she's a big girl now, and big sister is in the room with her. She put her face in the pillow and cried. I sat near the bedroom door and listened. 5 minutes later there was silence. I then heard her get up and lay back down. 5 minutes later, she was asleep. She got up to get her babies. I know it won't be this easy every night, but I was so happy it wasn't a drawn out fight with her. I felt so bad doing that, but she has to learn to fall asleep on her own. She had her nightlight on, and big sister is in the same room. But still, I feel sad. Do any of you have any idea/tips or things that you have done to help your children fall asleep on their own in their own beds? I know the main thing is consistency, and I'm determined to stick to it. Please feel free to share.

3 Interesting Remarks:

Melissa said...

That is such a sweet picture! Sariah is awful at at going to bed but she hates having me lie down with her to get her to sleep so I really have a hard time getting her to bed. But she eventually falls asleep on her own. Rebekah however loves 'night night time'. My baby sister is 9 and still needs to fall asleep with someone.

Melissa said...

I guess I should mention that Sariah is find going to bed at night. It is nap time that we have the real struggle.

LOLiTA said...

That's funny. Maddy's the opposite. She's a great napper, but needs convincing to go to bed at night. Tonight she had her 2 babies, and 3 teddy bears with her.